St Margaret's has a large, squarish nave of alternate limestone and ironstone courses, dating from the rebuilding of 1827-28 by Charles Squirhill. This replaced an aisled C13th. nave, and the W responds of the arcades still remain, along with the S doorway under a medieval porch. Also from the medieval church are the small, square chancel (C13th.) and the W tower (C13th. in its lowest parts). There are vestries to N and S of the chancel, the S a modern addition. Inside the nave the church retains its W gallery, with an organ in the centre and benches to either side. The font may, at a pinch, be C12th, but is more probably C13th.
In 1086 Denton was divided between Countess Judith and Ramsey Abbey. No church was recorded.
Benefice of Yardley Hastings, Denton and Grendon with Castle Ashby and Whiston.